Date Authentication and Publication
024.6.11 (September 27, 1967)
Act No. 21 of 2024
An Act made to provide for Passports Preamble: Whereas, it is expedient to provide for legal provisions regarding Issuance of Passport to the Nepalese Citizens who intend to visit foreign countries, Be it enacted by His Majesty King Mahendra Bir Bikram Shahdev, with the advice and consent of the Rastriya Panchayat .
1.Short Title and Commencement:
(1) This Act may be called “Passports Act, 2024”.
(2) This Act shall extend to the whole of Nepal and it shall extend to all Nepalese Citizens wherever they stay or reside.
(3) This Act shall come into force immediately.
In this Act “Passport” means a document issued by the Government of Nepal to a Nepalese Citizen, who is visiting a foreign country, by granting permission for such visit and stipulating visiting countries and duration.
3. Passport to be received:
A Nepalese Citizen may make a journey abroad only upon receiving a valid Passport issued in his/her own name.Provided that, it shall not deem necessary to receive a passport to visit a country if a treaty or an agreement concluded between the Government of Nepal and a foreign government does not require Nepalese Citizens to receive Passports for the visit of such country.
4. Authority to issue Passport
Authority to issue Passport: A Passport may only be issued by the Government of Nepal or Nepalese Embassy or any other Mission stationed in any foreign countries which are so authorized for the same by the Government of Nepal. Provided that,
Whosoever receives or attempts to receive a passport providing false statement or false details, or visits or attempts to visit a foreign country in against of Section 3, or does not abide by the order or direction issued by the Government of Nepal, or misuses the purpose of the passport, or provides his/her passport to any other person for other’s use, or uses others passport, or commits any act which is in against of this Act or Rules framed hereunder, may be punished with an imprisonment up to one year or fined up to Five Thousand Rupees or with both.
6. Government of Nepal to be the Plaintiff
(1) The Government of Nepal shall be the plaintiff in the case which is to be filed for an offence punishable under Section 5 and such cases shall be filed before the court by the police with at least the rank of Inspector. (2) If there is any reasonable doubt for committing or attempting to commitan offence pursuant to Section 5 by a person, any police personnel shall arrest such person even without a warrant and produce such person before his/her authority at least an Inspector
7. Authority to frame Rules:
(1) Government of Nepal may frame Rules to implement the objectives of this Act.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the powers conferred by Subsection (1), such Rules, particularly, may provide for the following matters: (a) Classification of the Passports to be issued for different purposes and terms and conditions regarding the passports, (b) Fees to be paid for passport, (c) Renewal of passports and their fees, (d) Other matters as required.