Correction of Age, Name and Surname Rules, 2017 (1962)
Correction of Age, Name and Surname
(Amendment) Rules, 2019 (1962) 2020/2/13 (May 27, 1963)
The Government of Nepal, having exercised the power conferred by Section 2 of the Administrative Procedure (Regulating) Act, 2013 (1956), has enacted the following Rules:-
1. Short Title and Commencement:
(1) These Rules may be called “Correction of Age, Name and Surname Rules, 2017 (1960)”.
(2) These Rules shall come into force immediately.
Unless the subject or context means otherwise, in these Rules:
(a) “Student” means a person who has passed an examination conducted by the Department of Education, Government of Nepal.
(b) “Certificate” means certificate of academic qualification.
(c) “Zonal Commissioner” means the Zonal Commissioner also.
3. Application to be Submitted for Correction of Age, Name and Surname:
(1) If anyone has to correct the age, name or surname written in his certificate, he shall have to submit an application by mentioning his fact and by enclosing Rs. 1.00 or affixing a postage stamp of equivalent valuation to the Zonal Commissioner/Chief District Officer.
(2) The Zonal Commissioner/Chief District Officer, upon submission of application under sub-rule (1), shall examine the evidences and also witnesses through Sarjamin (public inquiry) if necessary and make his concrete decision, and such decision shall be final.
4. The Controller of Examinations May Order for Correction of Certificate and Levy the Fee:
(1) The Zonal Commissioner/Chief District Officer, in a situation of his decision to correct the age, name or surname, shall forward the information thereof and a duplicate copy of decision to the Controller of Examinations immediately; and the Controller of Examinations shall, on the basis of the said information and decision, order to correct the name, surname or age of the concerned person in the certificate and the school records.
(2) The Controller of Examinations, having levied the fee prescribed by the Department of Education, shall issued a new certificate with correction of name, surname or age to the concerned person; and the old certificate shall be taken by revoking from the person.
5. Power Like a Court:
The Zonal Commissioner/Chief District Officer shall exercise the power like a District Court of civil cases under the law of Nepal to issue summon, make presence of witness, order to submit documents, examine the evidences and Sarjamin (public inquiry) if necessary for the purpose of exercise of the power under sub-rule (2) of rule 3.
6. Time Limit for Application:
(1) A person applying for correction of age, name or surname under these Rules shall submit application for correction within 6 months of obtaining his certificate in which his name, surname and age are written.
(2) Notwithstanding anything written in sub-rule (1), the persons who have obtained the certificate prior to the time limit written in the said sub-rule, may, in case of necessary to correct their name, surname or age, may submit application within two years of publication of these amendments in the Nepal Gazette.
7.The Government Employee also May Enjoy :
The Government Employees also may enjoy the facility of correction of age, name and surname in their certificate under these Rules. Provided that the age written in the sheet roll prepared prior to the date of coming into force of the main Rules cannot be corrected on the basis of the certificate corrected under these Rules.
Amended by Correction of Age, Name and Surname (Amendment) Rules, 2019 (1962).
N.B.: 1. The term “Area Court” was replaced with “District Court” as per the Judicial Administration (Miscellaneous Arrangement) (Amendment) Act, 2021 (1964).
2. The terms “Magistrate” and “Badahakim” were replaced with “Zonal Commissioner” as per the Local Administration Act, 2022 (1966).
3. The term “Gazette” was replaced with “Rajpatra” as per t he Some Nepal Law (Amendment) Act, 2024 (1967